We all wonder why our teeth are not as white as they used to be.
Here are some of the top reasons why our teeth are not as white as we would like:
1. Food and drink: We are all aware of the red wine staining we get and the coffee stains, but certain foods stain also.
2. Smoking is high on the list: nicotine stains enamel very quickly and can be hard to remove at home.
3. Inadequate oral hygiene routines: flossing and brushing regularly help remove some of the staining from every day life.
4. Some diseases have an effect on teeth enamel which can also start a discoloration process
5. Infections in pregnant mothers can have an effect on the teeth of the unborn child.
6. Antibiotics can very often discolor teeth tetracycline given to children who are developing enamel on their permanent teeth could cause the discoloration.
7. Mouth rinses containing chlorhexidine can also cause staining
8. Metal fillings (amalgam fillings) can leak a grey looking color to teeth.
9. Ageing, as we get older the enamel on our teeth get thinner exposing the dentine underneath and dentine is a yellow color.
10. Genetics, You will find that some people have naturally a thicker layer of enamel.
Luckily with our cosmetic dentists we no longer have to live with discolored teeth.
Our team at Cosmetic Makover will be happy to introduce you to our cosmetic dentists and can make your discoloration disappear.